Family Picture

Family Picture
Pete, Tina, Theo, and Oscar

Monday, March 21, 2011

Ask everyone for referrals!

Once again, something I learned on the mission has blessed my life. I was a firm believer in finding people through referrals. My best story happened in Warsaw. My companion and I were walking along a quiet stretch, and 20 meters ahead I spotted a man heading our direction. I made eye contact with him, and as soon as I did, he started shaking his head. Before we even passed each other, he told us, "I know who you guys are, and I'm not interested!" We stopped and slowly shifted our bodies to watch him pass by us. We never said anything! In that split second, a line from the last page of Preach My Gospel popped into my head: Ask everyone for referrals! I immediately blurted out, "Well, do you know someone who would be interested in our message?!" The guy stopped dead in his tracks, turned around and walked back to us. He replied, "Actually, I do." And he gave us his friend's name and phone number. This referral became a progressing investigator. Referrals work. You've got to open your mouth and let people know you're looking. So I use the same principle in post-mission life. Last week, Wednesday to be exact, I was searching on craigslist and KSL for apartments in Salt Lake with a washer and dryer. I believe I mentioned it in my last post - that having a washer and dryer was my ONLY REQUIREMENT for our new place. Well, I'd found this nice looking apartment on KSL, but it didn't specify whether it had a washer and dryer. So I decided to call and ask. Nope, it didn't. Even though it probably was a conflict of interest, I asked the person on the other end if she knew of any place that did have washers and dryers in their apartments. She mentioned a place, so I thanked them and looked it up and gave them a call. To my surprise, they didn't have washers and dryers! Okay, let's try this again. Another referral, and it worked! That's how I found Seasons at Pebble Creek. Not only do they have washers and dryers, but they also have a full-size stove and fridge (neither of which we have), two playgrounds, two pools,and a clubhouse. AND this place is right across the street from a golf course (that's half as much as in Provo) and Seven Peaks waterpark! They had one opening. They never post their openings online because they're always filled so quickly by referral. So I wouldn't have found this place any other way. I'm so grateful for my mission and the life lessons I learned. They continue to bless my life. We're so excited to live there! And we were able to negotiate the contract start date a little! They wanted April 5th, we wanted the 23rd. We compromised on the 15th. Woo hoo!

3 comments:

  1. Nice! a fun place! so cool that Seasons at Pebble Creek gave you a 10 day break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina! I haven't visited your blog in forever, so I thought I'd check in to see how you guys are doing. Sounds like things couldn't be better! Glad to see everything's going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Esther from Heritage! I just came across your blog. It is so fun to see everything that has happened since we were roommies 7 years ago!! Your son is adorable! It is good to see how you are doing!

    ReplyDelete